Sunday, March 16, 2008

Jesus H. Christ


Yeah, she didn't have a proposal ready. I shouldn't have expected her to but I did. I knew this was our first meeting and how could she have known what is in my head unless I vocalize my thoughts, write them on paper and hand it to her, send them electronically through a computer, through the internet, to her computer, then to her brain. This hadn't occurred to me until I sat down in front of her, she looking at me with that head, that face that said, "okay, talk! what is it that you desire?" My strategy was DOA - Dead on Arrival. So much for keeping my mouth shut. Such an utter failure on my part, such an incompetence in the art of war - contract negotiations - that no less than ten minutes later my proverbial cards were on the table - I disclosed my current salary. For her part, she disclosed how much my employer was charging her. I guess that evened things up a bit (not really, but that's what I keep telling myself).

I then laid out my wishes: to be hired directly by the school, to be an exempt employee - salaried with a paycheck 12 months a year, and an increase in hours. She duly noted my demands and informed me that she would respond one and a half months later.

Jesus H. Christ!

No comments: