Friday, October 5, 2007

Full Circle


I have returned. After leaving catholic schools after the 7th grade, I have come full circle. This time, I 'm on the other side of the desk, at a different school, of course; only if they knew...if Sister Mariam could see me now, that would show her!

Catholic schools can be quite a funny place. Before the year started, I was invited to the teachers meeting. Of course they started with a song and prayer. I just kinda avoided eye-contact, head bent forward, silent. The singing was awful, just like the little, measly, thin paper they call bread and give out at mass. In good ol' Catholic school fashion, they spent the first hour talking about enforcing the dress code; shirts tucked in, matching socks, no non-school affiliated sweaters and pull-overs, earrings no bigger than a quarter, and on and on and frickin' on, jesus cristo!

In this new school, as in my former school, all the students gather in the morning to effortlessly, absentmindedly breath out while barely vocalizing the lords prayer. The ceremony of it all is quite amusing. Of course, I roll in just as they finish. On Wednesday mornings when they are at mass, I'm in my windowless office, readin' the news.

No comments: