Thursday, January 3, 2008

Back with Berlitz, It's hard to make money in PJs.


Since my few hours at the Catholic schools have resulted in a rather low balance in my bank account, I've decided to get back with Berlitz and work a few morning hours.

My new client is the wife of a German engineer who is working for a major auto manufacturer out in the 'burbs. I've worked with such wives before and, let me tell you, they've got it made; The whole trip is paid, the flight, housing, the salary is half in Euros and half in dollars, and they get free English classes with Berlitz, among other things. It's a great deal for them, they're being paid to go be American for a while.

I've been feeling a bit under the weather lately but have been hoping that it would subside. Nevertheless, I tossed and turned last night and was up at 7 a.m. getting ready to go to work. I ironed my one pair of work pants and a shirt, did my little morning routine and was out the door. Stopped in the café to break a twenty for bus fare and had a machiato (cortado in Spain, noisette in France, and _______ in Brasil). I passed the 15 ride reading "The Shock Doctrine" by Naomi Klein and arrived 15 min. early for work, red eyed and nose running.

A rather cute, japanese-american co-worker showed up at the door and we waited together for the running-late-because-she-overslept/missed-the-bus, cute catalan secretary to let us in. She seemed high on caffine and the starbucks cup in her hand confirmed my suspicion. She inquired as to what I was reading and proceeded to inform me that she is not much of a reader nor is her father who has, "never read a book cover to cover." Wierded out, I impatiently waited for my catalana.

At last, she arrived, looking marvelous as always, even at 8:45 a.m., let us in, and we all moved to assume our battle stations when my colleague asked, "who are you teaching this morning?"
"I'm teaching Olga...um...who are you teaching?...Olga!"

So, here I am, back at home in my PJs not earning any money.

C'est la vie.

3 comments:

M C Ward said...

Here in Brasil it's called a Café Machiatto, due to the high level of Italian immigration and a lack of imagination.

El Gringo Vasco said...

all right! but lack of imagination, that's seems a bit harsh. no?

Anonymous said...

In Portugal I seem to remember them calling it "cafe pingao" or something like that...