Wednesday, January 23, 2008

chinny chin chin


I nearly escaped with my life by the hairs on my chiny chin chin.

Seconds before class was to start, I found myself in the cold, damp and dark den of the secretary. I reached the copier machine without being noticed, opened the lid, deftly inserted my master plan and then... my education failed me; I never learned how to properly operate a copier machine. I was forced to ask for help. I found myself at the mercy of Ilene, the dreaded secretary.

She seemed calm enough, surveyed the situation and then pushed print. There was a problem, one which I'm not prepared to diagnose. After 15 blank pages she pushed cancel, opened the lid, removed my page and declared me safe to proceed. Easy enough I thought, although the digital display indicated the machine was ready to print 250 copies. I moved to push "clear quantity" and that's when my life flashed before my ears. As cold as widowed snake, she hissed, "DO NOT DO THAT!" I found myself, flashed back to my childhood, defenseless, helpless, powerless; I wanted to cry. As quickly as it had started, I regained my footing, albeit in a less than commanding tone, I proclaimed, "you said 'go ahead.'" She faded in the distance. I made the copies, escaped with my life.

No comments: